After our stay in Chihuahua City we headed northeast across the Chihuahua desert to Casas Grandes. These were our last two nights in Mexico. As usual there was a central plaza, zocalo, and parish church. We walked the main street and saw some gorgeous homes.
About five miles from town we visited the Paquimé Ruins. This civilization flourished, declined and disappeared in 1340.
Our other excursion was to the small town of Mata Ortiz with a short stop in Colonia Juarez to see one of five Mormon Temples in Mexico.
Leaving Casas Grandes we headed north to the border
crossing at Palomas, Mexico.
History of Casas Grandes: The town owes its name to the neighboring archaeological site of Paquimé. Its origins go back to 1661, when Franciscan monks settled here in order to convert the Janos and Suma Indians.
They named it San Antonio de las Casas Grandes. Because of its proximity to the Janos presidio, soldiers laid-off due to old age or accidents were granted land in this area, bringing life to the town. It is the capital of the municipality bearing the came name.
Copyright © 2004 by John Walter. All rights reserved. The web site content may not be copied, published or duplicated without consent.