St. George's Chapel - Windsor Castle


P4020230.jpg (49569 bytes)
Not quite sure what he was guarding - maybe the gate behind him to St. George's Chapel
P4020231.jpg (72119 bytes) P4020238.jpg (38004 bytes)
P4020232.jpg (41060 bytes)
Inner courtyard with people laying flowers on the right
P4020239.jpg (65172 bytes)
Some of the flowers for Queen Mother
P4020233.jpg (66304 bytes)
Flowers and sidewalk to side entrance of chapel
P4020234.jpg (60722 bytes)
Inside of chapel
P4020237.jpg (55954 bytes)
P4020236.jpg (44495 bytes)
P4020235.jpg (72794 bytes)
Side altar
After the funeral of The Queen Mother at Westminster Abbey (April 9, 2002), the coffin was taken to St. George's Chapel, Windsor, for a private Committal Service, where it was interred beside King George VI in the King George VI Memorial Chapel.

King Edward IV began the building of the present Chapel in 1475, to replace King Henry III's Chapel (built 1240-48), which stood further east. Construction was not completed until 1528, in the reign of King Henry VIII. The Chapel is a Royal Peculiar, that is, a chapel which is not subject to a bishop or archbishop but which owes its allegiance directly to the Sovereign. (Royal Peculiars originated in Anglo-Saxon times and developed as a result of the unique relationship between the Norman and Plantagenet Kings and the English Church. Other Royal Peculiars include The Chapel Royal and the Queen's Chapel at St James's Palace, and Westminster Abbey.)

The Chapel is administered by the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who with their officers and staff are called the College of St George. To the east of the Chapel are the Deanery and other houses for the Canons, and to the west, opposite the Great West Door, lies the Horseshoe Cloister, dating from about 1480 and providing accommodation for many of those who work and sing in the Chapel. The Chapel Choir consists of boys from St George's School, a boys' preparatory and choir school, and of men known as Lay Clerks.

St George's is the Chapel of the Order of the Garter, founded about 1348, and the annual Garter Service attended by The Queen and Knights and Ladies of the Order takes place each June.

Ten former Sovereigns are buried in St George's Chapel - Henry VI, Edward IV, Henry VIII, Charles I, George III, George IV, William IV, Edward VII, George V and George VI.

Main page