Church of the Good Shepard
Lake Tekapo

church-01.jpg (59849 bytes) church-02.jpg (39491 bytes) church-03.jpg (36678 bytes) church-04.jpg (44659 bytes)
A memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie, the Church of the Good Shepherd, lies on the shore of Lake Tekapo on Pioneer Drive. For years church services were held at the various station homesteads in the Mackenzie. In 1933 some residents wrote the Anglican Vestry asking for a church to be built and backed their suggestion with generous promises of money and land.  Mr. George Murray donated the land. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Gloucester in January 1935 and seven months later dedicated in August 1935. Built from lakeside stone and oak with a clear glass window to allow a view of the blue lake.

Home page   |   Christchurch page